Have you ever considered how the sugar you eat can impact your feet? It may come as a surprise, but it is true. Here, you will understand why having too much sugar can be bad for the health of your feet.
- Think of your blood vessels as small roads that blood uses to move around. Eating too much sugar can make the highways in your body narrower, similar to a traffic jam. Your feet might not receive enough oxygen and nutrients to remain strong and healthy.
- Have you ever felt like your feet are bigger and puffy after eating sugary stuff? That’s because sugar can inflate your body, making it swollen and achy. This swelling can make your feet uncomfortable and cause problems like plantar fasciitis, making walking difficult.
- Sugar attracts bacteria and infections into our bodies, just like a welcome mat. Consuming too much sugar can harm your body’s ability to protect itself, making it more difficult to fight infections and germs.
- Consuming excessive sugar can make you more prone to developing diabetes. Diabetes can affect your blood sugar levels, damaging the blood vessels and nerves in your feet. People who have diabetes need to be very cautious because even a small injury can become a serious problem for their feet.
- There are easy ways to keep your feet feeling happy and healthy. First, try to reduce the sugary snacks and drinks you consume. Instead, choose delicious fruits and vegetables.
Next time you want to eat a lot of sugar, consider how it could affect your feet. Looking after your feet now reduces the likelihood of facing unpleasant foot issues in the future. Take care of your feet, and they will allow you to enjoy activities like dancing, playing, and exploring without any unexpected or scary problems.
The foot experts at Desert Podiatric Medical Specialists in the Tucson, Oro Valley, and Green Valley areas of Pima County, Arizona, have experience treating all aspects of foot and ankle care. If you have any questions or concerns or want to make an appointment, please call (520) 575-0800.